Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Heritage Classic Recap!

We picked up our tickets on Saturday, and they had changed a little. 10th Row instead of 2nd row. But those are still amazing seats!

On Sunday, we headed to the game at 2pm and walked around the grounds outside. There was the Budweiser truck with the Budweiser girls there, a band playing, a Tim Horten's truck (yes, you could get Timmie's at the game!), and of course game merchandise for sale.


We wandered around for a bit, then decided to head to our seats early. Once we got there I was glad our seats had changed! 2nd row would have been a little low to see the ice clearly...we had a pretty good view of the ice from 10th row and were still really close. They had a band playing closer to game time, right before the teams came out to warm up. Then they sang the national anthem, and guess who sang it? Paul Brandt! Stephan was pretty excited, he's a big country fan and not a word had been said that Paul Brandt was going to be there. There was mounties there, and a marching band. And the snow birds flew over right before the game started!

on the other side of the rink you can see my Habs waiting to warm up


The snow birds!

First period Stephan discovered that there was no commentary on the game...ha! Surprise for him! Flames scored in the first period. Habs did NOT. But let me tell you, by the time the first period ended the sun had gone away behind the stands and the temperature DROPPED. It was supposed to be -7. But it ended up being -17 (-22 with the windchill). I shivered through the 2nd period, where the Flames scored 2 more goals (and may I just point out how the Gomez line DRAGGED...I hate that line).

some of the crowd, before the first period started.

Shortly before 2nd period ended, we decided to beat the rush and headed to the washroom. I spent most of intermission hiding in the bathroom, because it was heated! A very kind lady in the washroom gave me these things to put in the toe of my boots to warm my feet up. I was supposed to let them sit out in the air for a bit, it would activate the heat. I don't think I let them sit out long enough, as they didn't get that warm and didn't do too much. But when I took them out of my boots at home, they heated up pretty quick, and hot! :( too bad I didn't wait long enough. I grabbed some hot chocolate, and pizza (simply because it was HOT and warmed me from the inside) then headed back to the stands to freeze some more.

2nd intermission/before 3rd period...freezing cold!

Third period..still no score from the Habs. Flames scored again and finished off the game with 4-0. BOO! I was sad to see my Habs lose, would have been nice if they had at least scored. Scratch that, win or lose I was ECSTATIC!! I was just happy to be at the game! This was a sold out even with 41 000 people, and the ONLY time my Habs were going to be here in Calgary this entire season (and so my only chance to see them play this year).

After the game, we rushed out to head to the after party. There was a free shuttle bus there, but it filled up so quickly that we couldn't get on. And cabs were just crazy. So we decided to head to our favourite pub near our house and have a few drinks there. One Habs fan started talking to me, and informed me several times that I have amazing teeth (apparently?!!). We didn't stay long, and headed home after a bit. I had a few more drinks at home and decided I was still in a party mood, and really wanted to go out dancing. Stephan wanted to stay home. So off I went to the after party by myself (I was finally able to get a cab!), Habs t-shirt in hand in case of any Habs-sightings. Sadly, although some of both teams were supposed to show up, neither did. :( No autographs for me. But, I got to check out a club downtown (which I haven't done) and I got to see Flame Central. Which is a pretty nice place, on a busier night anyways. It was kinda quiet, surprisingly. It was supposed to be THE place for the after party. Oh well, I still had fun! Late night, and a few too many drinks (made for a LONG, painful day on Monday) but still an awesome day.

Pretty sure I got frost bite on my feet, my toes are still tingly. Hoping that will go away!

Like I said before, win or lose I'm so glad I got to the game! It was big deal, and a wonderful surprise from Stephan! Such a loving boyfriend I have, to do something like that for me! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment