We found a cheap parking spot and walked to the grounds. We didn't really have a game plan for the day, we were just going to wing it. We passed through the rides section, and opted not to go on any. It was way expensive and overpriced. Besides, my parents and brother are coming out to visit at the beginning of August, and we want to save our money to do some stuff with them. I did check out the games where you can win teddy bears. We were supposed to go to the fair in North Bay, and Stephan was going to win me a bear. But it didn't happen. So he still owes me a bear from the fair. But, sadly, I didn't like any of the stuffed animals at the bear. So I am still waiting for my bear.
We checked out the barns with the animals, and Stephan checked out the girls. You can go see them on his facebook album (of which I am not impressed because there are no photos of me in this album, but he's a boy and what can I do? He just laughed at me. I would like to point out that he took those photos when I was standing next to him. Feel free to make comments on that and side with me). I also had to drag him from one girl who was dancing on the street, and he was looking over his shoulder as I dragged him away. I'm not sure about this Stampede thing next year, I might have to blindfold him. Or tie his hands. No more pictures. I think next year I will be the only one with a camera allowed to take pictures.
We also checked out the military display, which Stephan thoroughly enjoyed. Too much. I had to restrain him from signing up for the Northern Rangers in the middle of no where to live in a tent in the middle of winter. Its this wild dream of his, to live in the North in the middle of nowhere with no people around and live off the land. Me...I think it would make a nice vacation and then we come home.
We saw a band playing, with a drumkit on wheels. They were coreographed and everything, and they were really good. Some songs include: Black Betty, The Vanga Boys, We want the Funk. We also checked out the country history museum.
We grabbed some food...we kept it cheap, didn't eat too much. We did splurge on some $5 icecream though. And we got handed some coupons just for wearing cowboy hats....I got a $5 coupon for a restaurant, and Stephan got a $20 coupon for the spa. I think we should switch, because I'm a girl and girls go to spas and I want a pedicure. Stephan said no, he wants to get a massage.
After dinner, we bought tickets for the Chuckwagon races and the Grandstand show. There was only standing room left, but the tickets only cost $15 so we were fine with that. We were early to the show, we wanted to ensure a good spot on the rail, so we sat down awhile first. When it came time to the spaces, we were right in front on the rail by the finish line as they came around the bend. And man, was it awesome! Those horses can fly, they whipped around that track so fast you wouldn't believe! And did you know they are Thoroughbreds? I mean, I wasn't surprised that the outriders were...but the ones pulling the wagon too? It just seems weird to think of english riding, flat-racing horses being used for a western-sport to pull wagons. I was expecting them to be racing with something like Quarter horses. Thoroughbreds will always make me think of the Kentucky Derby and Breeder's Cup. Oh, and we saw the Budweiser Clydesdale!
After, it was the Grandstand show. And it was AMAZING! I loved it! Eva Avila sang, and so did the girl who's the star of Broadway's The Lion King right now. And there was a Michael Jackson tribute with Canadian dancer Daniel 'Da FunkyMystic' Celebre who was supposed to tour with MJ and had trained everyday with him for the last 3 months of his life. They had acrobatic stuff with Silk ballet dancers (where the girl was hanging across his feet, in mid-air no harness!, while he was holding onto those silk things!!), and the Russian Double Bar which was like gymnastics on the bar, except the girls were jumping on one held by a guy at either end. It was super cool, and one girl almost fell at one point. There were motorcycle tricks, and kid dancer and singers which were cute but Stephan found it cheesy. And it was, I guess, but its kids so cheesy is cute.
It was a great day, and we had tonnes of fun exploring the stampede. I plan to try to put up some videos I took. If it works, I apologize because my camera is old and there is no sound on the videos. But they will give you a good idea of the racing, and the fireworks and some other evens in the grandstand show. Next year we plan to go see more of the rodeo events during the day, like the bull-riding and the broncos. I think I MIGHT let Stephan take his blindfold off for that part.
P.S: I think I look pretty good in a cowboy hat. I think Stephan does too, which is why he shouldn't be allowed out without me by his side....
Cute cowgirl hat!
ReplyDeleteI really, really want to go to the Calgary Stampede someday !!
ReplyDelete$20 Jen!!! that's it! haha!
ReplyDeleteStephan bought himself a fancy expensive one. I was fine with paying $20 :P
FL: Calgary has so much to see and do, you really should come check it out! The mountains too!