Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Drive Out West Part 2 - Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta

So I'm going to continue, and finally end, the story of our move out here. And no, I didn't lump the last 3 provinces into one post because I'm biased. I swear, as soon as we hit Manitoba it rained for the rest of the way there, on and off. Which didn't really allow for much picture taking, hence there are less pictures, and hence all 3 get lumped together.

On the second day, we left Thunder bay an hour later than planned because we had such a good time talking to my Aunt and Uncle over breakfast. And I really don't get to see them that often, and they are the best! And, we didn't have a timeline for our next destination so it didn't matter.

We left Thunder bay and continued our drive in Northern Ontario, for our next destination of Brandon, Manitoba. On the way, we saw two more moose. AND a wolf!! Stephan spotted it, it ran in front of a few cars ahead of us. By the time he yelled wolf and I turned my head, I only got a glimpse of its tail as it ran into the trees. But still, it was very cool.

Can you spot the moose?

As I said, when we crossed over into Manitoba, it rained. For the rest of the drive. We stopped at a gas station in Manitoba, shortly after we crossed the border and this is what we found:


That's right! Fish bait from a VENDING MACHINE! I was quite entertained. How do they keep the minnows alive?!!

Manitoba was pretty, I expected it to be flat, but there was still some hills and a lot of green. And the odd clump of trees. I started to get hungry around dinner time, we were waiting until we got to the motel to have dinner. And then we saw a wild turkey on the road. I was so hungry I almost made Stephan stop and get it, or hit it. Except that we didn't have an oven in the car to cook it with. We could have strapped it to the hood of the car and let the engine cook it as we drove.....I'm just saying. I was really hungry. And that turkey looked good.


Saskatchewan...well, there's not much to say. It was flat. And it rained through the entire province. So we did silly photos again to entertain ourselves.

See....flat. Endlessly flat. And rainy.


Alberta was a lot like Saskatchewan...flat, until you reached Calgary and you could see the foothills and mountains in the distance. Except for right when we crossed the boarder and were driving through Cypress Hills. It was a really cool area, with a lot of history. And we want to go back and check it out sometime. Once we actually got within a few hours of Calgary, it miraculously stopped raining. The sun came out, the sky was blue and you could see the mountains as we drove into Calgary. A very nice welcoming view.


Cypress Hills

And that's it! We survived the trip out west, me being sick and all! And it was a fantastic drive, I'm really glad we decided to drive through the Canadian way. It was an experience I'll never forget. I owe a lot of it to Stephan, who really was the best boyfriend ever and made the trip enjoyable for me despite me feeling like I'd been hit by a freight train. I also should mention that my ever-loving super awesome boyfriend drove the ENTIRE way to Calgary. Every single kilometer. Which meant sick me got to sleep, take it easy and rest. I think I'm pretty lucky. And I'm glad that I got to experience this adventure with Stephan, I could think of no one better. Love you babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment