We got some icecream, and stopped to pick up some movies for later in the night. Then we headed to a park by the river that's near our house. Its a really nice area. The one side is all picnic tables and grassy area by the river. And on the other side is trails for walking your dogs. When you go down the trails, you don't even feel like you're in the city. Calgary is really green! We spread out a blanket and just spent the afternoon in the shade of a tree.
I had my bathing suit on for suntanning, but sadly you cannot swim in this river.
1.) there really isn't a beach...its all stones.
2.) the water is FREEZING because the river comes from the mountains
3.) the current is really strong and fast, and there are a lot of random deep spots with undertows that make this a VERY dangerous river to swim in. So instead, people float down the rivers in rafts and drink beer!! Truly, they do! ....I want to do this too.
But even without the swimming, its still a really nice park. I loved being by the river, I love water. Its like air for my lungs. And it made me feel a TINY bit like home. Its now my favourite thing to do. Stephan said if the weather is nice, we will spend all of next Saturday there. I can't wait!! I have a whole picnic lunch in my head planned.




Where did you guys have your picnic? There are some really great parks in Calgary!
ReplyDeleteoh jeeze...I don't know the name, but its off of 16th ave (it goes under the highway on both sides) up by the olympic park where the ski jumps are...
ReplyDeleteI want to be tubing on that river, with the beer!
ReplyDelete