We left Ontario at 4am on a Wednesday morning. We had stayed at Mel and Ben's house, and our car was all packed up. The moving truck had come the day before. It had started out as a warm day, and so I had worn my flipflops. And then it had gotten cold. And my flipflops stayed on. I ran inside and outside for several hours, packing up the truck, obsessively checking off my list as the movers put things in the truck, and biting my lip and worrying as I saw him putting boxes on top of the fragile ones.
The result was, when I woke up at 4am, my throat was so sore and I felt like I had been hit like a transport truck. The thought of getting in a car and driving made me miserable. And sad, because I had been so looking forward to the trip. And now all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep for the rest of the day.
Stephan was really good, he said he would drive the first part so I could sleep. He stopped after a few hours at a Subway so we could get some food, I wasn't even sure I could get. I managed to eat half a sub, and went to the store to grab some Halls. Miracle of miracles, they made things a little better. I ended up living off of those things for the rest of the trip. But my nose was still so stuffed I could barely breathe. It was brutal.
Luckily, Stephan made the trip fun for me. He had me take little naps here and there because he was fine with driving for now, and he put me in charge of taking pictures. He had me take fun silly little photos, to keep things interesting and to keep my mind of being sick. We made random little stops here and there to take some more fun pictures. He wanted the trip to be well documented, we were both excited about it. And it worked, it kept my mind off being sick and I felt a little better. It ended up being a wonderful first day, and I owe it to Stephan. He ended up driving the entire day....12 hours. And he knew just what to do to keep me from feeling sick...stick a camera in my hand and tell me to be the official photographer.
We saw a moose too, Stephan's first one. Finally! He'd been waiting forever!
Our first stop for the night was Thunder Bay. We made it there at dinner time, and stayed with my great-aunt and great-uncle for the night. They cooked us dinner. And even though I was half-dead and at this point ready to collapse, I went with them to church. I felt awful the whole time, and counted the minutes until my head could hit the pillow. But, I did get to see my aunt and some of my cousins so it was nice.
We planned to leave at 8 in the morning, but had such a great breakfast and talk with my aunt and uncle that we stayed an hour longer. The 2nd day we didn't have a deadline, so it didn't matter what time we left.
Here are some pics from the first day (sorry, there's quite a few):
Stephan's first moose! I zoomed in as far as I could. She's turning around to run back into the forest.








No comments:
Post a Comment