Thursday, December 30, 2010

Looking at old pictures....

and I found this hidden away somewhere.
"My" horse Blaze. I use quotations because he wasn't actually mine, but I'd been around him for 16 years so he was mine in a way. This picture was taken 3 years ago on May Long Weekend of 2007. That would make Blaze 26 or 27 in this picture, Yvonne couldn't remember if she got him when he was 4 or 5. He's only been gone since July, but I miss him terribly. Saying goodbye to him when I left Ontario was one of the hardest. So now I feel like talking about him. Whether you are interested or not is another thing, but its my blog so too bad! haha! :P

  • Blaze was half Morgan, and the other half was either Appaloosa or Paint. Yvonne wasn't 100% sure
  • He lived outside all year, not in a stable. So his coat would get super thick and long.
  • He never had horse shoes, and he never had a problem with his feet.
  • Blaze bucked, but I never had that problem with him
  • He didn't like other horses behind him, so he was always last on the trail.
  • Blaze and Missy (another horse at the camp) didn't get along.
  • Blaze didn't like apples, he just wouldn't eat them. Oddly, he ate them from ME. But only Royal Gala apples...no other kind, and from no one else.
  • Sometimes he wanted nothing to do with you, other times he followed you around with his nose in your pocket
  • His favourite spot to be scratched was behind his ear, at the base there....he would just melt. He would just hang his head and his ears would droop in total relaxation, and his eyes would close. He'd fall asleep like that.
  • He loved to run. We always got to have a gallop at the end of the trail. As soon as you turned him back up the road, he started to get excited. He knew that the run was coming.
  • His favourite thing in the winter was for Yvonne to chase him through the snow on her 4-wheeler when she went into the field to break the ice so the horses could have water. He followed her, because he knew what was coming. It was his favourite game.
I loved that horse, and for the past 6/7 years he was the only horse I would ride at the camp. He was my horse, and I miss him terribly. I love this pic of him, I'm glad I stumbled upon it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment