I realize its been a couple weeks since I caught up with the Canadiens. There are several reasons for this.
1.) After the Pacioretty hit, I lost a little bit of heart. I just lost my passion a bit, and I found hockey very frustrating to watch. Especially the inconsistent calls and suspensions.
2.) Things have been CRAZY busy. I was catching up with my piano students from when I was sick and then I was pre-catching up for those who are away for March Break this week. And I've been trying to get church songs picked out. Everything just seems to be crazy right now, I can't keep up.
So, I've decided I'll make "Catching up with the Canadiens" a Tuesday post. Its too hard to catch up after every game, especially when I work 2 jobs and when I miss all Thursday and Friday night games (because of said 2nd job).
This week I'll just recap what's happened since my last post.
After the Chara hit on Pacioretty, there was a meeting with all the GM's. A 5-point plan was set up to help control concussions and head shots. Some changes were made to padding...it will be softer so it has more give. Arenas must also have a padded sanction (although the padding is quite firm, and if you hit it at the speed Pacioretty was going it won't make a difference anyways so not sure what the point was there). And harsher penalties were set up for blatant head shots and repeat offenders.
Problems with this: It leaves room for anyone giving a questionable hit to pull the "I didn't mean to card", and get away scot-free. It also means that these people don't get suspended, and will not have a record (like Chara now), and the questionable hit will not be taken into further consideration in any future event(s). Everyone will know that they were responsible for the hit, but it won't be considered because they "have no record". You see the problem? They can't be deemed a repeat offender if they are never initially charged! Crooked system. STILL.
Since the Chara hit, things have been up and down. 6 Losses and 3 Wins. Including a HUGE 7-0 loss to Boston, the first game since meeting them after the hit. It was devastating. I am, however, glad that there were no further injuries.
Pacioretty is on the mend, and docs are saying he could see the playoffs. I'd rather him take the season to heal, and not risk more injury. I want to see him around for the long term, and not just playoffs this year.
Right now, we sit 2nd in the division but Buffalo is right behind us by only 2 points. We are 6th in the conference with NY right behind us, and have not secured a playoff spot with 6 games remaining (including tonight's game).
Up for this week:
Tonight against the Thrashers
Tomorrow against Carolina
Saturday against New Jersey.
No comments:
Post a Comment