Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Parents & Ian's trip out: Part 1.

So I guess I'll start with the vacation recap at the beginning.

My parents and brother arrived on Monday. Stephan had the day off because it was a holiday Monday. Mom and Dad surprised me by bringing out all my remaining boxes of books, so now most of my stuff is here :) We had a nice dinner, and then Moms took us grocery shopping and bought us food (yay for Moms!!). I also gave my dad his belated Father's day present. Tuesday Stephan had to go back down south to work. I dropped him off in the morning, and I also had to work Tuesday and Wednesday. While I was working, my parents went to see the Calgary tower and did some shopping. On Thursday, it was time to pick Stephan up (since he had the day off, and the rest of the crew was still working). We made a day out of it.

We traveled to Okotoks to see the Big Rock, which is made out of the same rock as the mountains. It traveled here on top of a glacier, and then got left behind when the glacier receded. It was kinda neat. But apparently we weren't supposed to climb on it, someone got mad at us...I figured we did less damage then the teens who obviously party there by evidence of the broken bottles all around the rock.
Then we drove west towards Crowsnest Pass, through the foothills at the base of the mountains. We went to see Frank Slide, which is the site of Canada's most deadly landslide. An avalanche buried part of a town and killed about 70 people in the early 1900's. Turns out the mountain was unstable, and the Indians had tried to warn them that the mountain moves or "walks". They obviously didn't listen. You can't even see the houses anymore, they are buried under huge boulders and it stretches pretty far. It happened at 4 am, and in about 90 seconds so they didn't stand a chance.
Oh, and since we were close we drove over the B.C boarder. Just to say we were in B.C.

Then we picked up Stephan. Mom and Dad gave him his belated birthday present (which was in June): a coffee maker and coffee!! Instead of a coffee pot, it stores 6 cups INSIDE and keeps the coffee pretty hot. Stephan was pretty impressed and happy with the gift.
And that's the end of Part 1!

1 comment: