Friday I was off of work for both Subway and my teaching job. YAY! The reason you ask? Well, I think I mentioned it on Thursday but if not...Stephan's cousin, Stephanie, arrived from Germany on Thursday night. She lives in the north of Germany now, and since they were on opposite ends of the country they hadn't seen each other in 4 years. Stephanie works for the airline company Lufthansa, and she had been trying to get a flight out to Calgary for sometime. And she finally managed it :) She flew in Thursday night and was staying until Sunday morning. And yes, she speaks fluent English so there would be no problem communicating.
Since she was a little jet-lagged she did some catching up on sleep. Stephan was stuck working overtime in Canmore, and the plan was that me and Stephanie would meet up and do some sight-seeing around Calgary, then head to Canmore for dinner with Stephan and stay at the motel with him, so he could at least see his cousin for a bit. On Saturday me and Stephanie would go sight-seeing around Banff.
I called and made arrangements for what time to meet her at her hotel. I was actually quite nervous. I haven't, sadly, had the chance to meet any of Stephan's family yet. I met up with her at noon, and she just wanted to get a good view of Calgary. So I drove her around to some spots with a good view, and done to the south end so she could get an idea of how big Calgary is. I also took her to the Edelweiss, a German store in Calgary. While we were doing this we got a text message from Stephan, saying that they were further ahead than planned and that the boss was sending everyone home for the weekend. YAY!
Me and Stephanie decided at this point to head to the grocery store and the liquor store. We grabbed some groceries for dinner (Maultaschen - a German soup), and she grabbed some Canadian goodies, and then we grabbed some wine for us, and some beer for Stephan. We headed home and had some wine while chatting, and I got dinner ready. Stephan returned home at 7pm, and we had a wonderful dinner. It was so nice to see Stephan smiling, happy to be with family again. You could tell he was thrilled to have family here. Then we took Stephanie along with us to the German club, after which we stayed up late chatting. We finally called it quits and headed to bed.
We got up early in the morning and had some breakfast, and headed off to Banff by 9:30pm. We just did some driving around, and visited Lake Louise. Sadly, the road to Moraine Lake was still closed. We also stopped in the town of Banff, and walked along the main street looking at the stores. We headed into Canmore for an early dinner at the Grizzly Paw. I tried their home brew honey wheat beer, and it was delicious! After dinner we headed home, said goodbye to Stephanie and dropped her off at the hotel. Her flight was leaving early Sunday morning.



I have to say meeting her was great, she was really nice and friendly and very easy to get a long with. We had a lot in common. She is hoping to get flights out here several times a year now, and hopefully plans to come do some skiing next winter with her husband. I'm really looking forward to the next time she is out here! What made me the most happy was watching Stephan spend time with family. He was so happy, and it made me smile. :)
Saturday night we watched a movie and relaxed after the busy day. Sunday was a lazy day with a nap after church and left-over Maultaschen and more tv and movies.
How was your weekend?
No comments:
Post a Comment