The teaching situation as of late here in Calgary is horrible. In the Calgary School board they are looking to fire 172 support staff jobs, and 324 teaching jobs come fall. Which means my chances, since I'm still not even really in the school board, are very small of making it in. I've been doing some searching around, and there are 3 public school boards in the Calgary area. One is Calgary, and as I've already mentioned they're firing massive amounts of staff. The other is a smaller one which serves the edges of Calgary, and the smaller cities around Calgary. They aren't firing. But they aren't really hiring either. Not much happening there. The other school board is just outside Calgary as well. HERE there is some movement happening. But I have to move closer to them, in order to get in since I'm too far away where I am now. They won't take me. That's the plan as of late, to move closer so I can make an attempt at this school board as it seems my only hope of getting on ANY school board for the fall.
So needless to say, I've been pretty frustrated with the teaching situation. Until a regular customer and his girlfriend came in and we started chatting. She's a new Bachelor of Education Graduate, and she said out of all the graduates last year, the Calgary Board hired 7. SEVEN!! That's it. Then she proceeded to tell me that with my degree, I can apply as a pre-school teaching assistant online. Which is what she did. She told me where to go, and what to do. She had 2 job offers for pre-schools and found a job no problem and said there are quite a few jobs out there in this section. She also said with my music background, the pre-schools would love me! Its not as high as pay as what I would make with the school board, but its in my field and I'd be working with kids so I'm THRILLED! So with high and excited hopes, I went to the website she told me about and applied for my certificate two weeks ago.
And, when I got home yesterday, this is what was in the mail:

I've already looked online, and in the one area of Calgary I'm concentrating on there are quite a few jobs to apply for on this website! And there are other websites to check out too, for more potential jobs. Fingers crossed that all goes well, I get some interviews and maybe a job even! PRAY FOR ME!
Woohoo! Crossing my fingers for you!
ReplyDeleteThat's great!!
ReplyDeleteThis post scared me though - I'm just GOING to teacher's college now. But here's my theory - those older teachers will eventually HAVE to retire, I give them about 5 years. So in 5 years we'll have jobs. Plus, it's only our country, everywhere else like UK and Australia I think there's a shortage - which means travelling to teach :) So I shall remain positive and stick to my plans!!
That's what I'm hoping too! They were supposed to start retiring when I finished Teacher's college, but than most didn't and kept on teaching. The other problem is they retire, and then go on the supply list and take up spots. It can only start to get better, right?
ReplyDeleteThe problem here in Calgary is not so much shortage of jobs, but that the board is short of money and so they have to fire jobs.