Monday, January 17, 2011

weekend recap

This was an awesome weekend, again!

Friday night I got home from work and we just relaxed And I mean, relaxed with no tv and no computers. We turned both off for the night and just sat and TALKED. About everything, anything. We took some time for us, without the distractions of the world. That is, until Stephan went to the bathroom and came out to find me asleep. LOL!

Saturday we slept in. I ran and got some groceries for dinner, as I had decided to do another recipe in the slow cooker. Once I got that going, we ran and did some errands. We came home to the apartment, and could already smell the delicious dinner in the slow cooker! I had decided to try a new recipe I found from a blog I followed: beef stew with beer and paprika. You can find the recipe here. This was the most amazing recipe ever! The beef was so tender it fell apart. The carrots were so soft and tender they melted in your mouth. And the stew broth was AMAZING. The recipe was made for the stove, but I did some research and adjusted for the slow cooker. I put the veggies in the slow cooker first, so they would be on the bottom (as they take the longest to cook), and added the broth. I adjust the broth for 1/2 to 2/3's the amount, as I read somewhere that since the liquid doesn't evaporate in the slow cooker like on the stove, you need less. I added 2/3 of the water called for, and the normal amount of beer. Then I browned the meat as directed, and added it to the slow cooker, with the drippings. I added the spices in the last hour, (except for the garlic, which I added in the beginning) as I also read that if you cook the spices too long they lose their flavour. I also left out the onions, because I hate them, but added onion salt instead. I cooked it on high for 2 hours, and then cooked it on low for about another 4 hours or so. Stephan loved this as much as rouladen, and that says a lot!


We spent the rest of the evening watching a couple of movies, surprise surprise eh?!

Sunday was low key. We ate the yummy stew left overs, and watched another movie.

I think I'm addicted to the slow cooker. Everything is so much more yummy!

How was your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. I love the slow cooker as well, they are so easy to use and I feel like I can't mess up a recipe if I use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low key weekends are the best! I'm a new follower from Vancouver, BC : )

    ReplyDelete