Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Stephan gets all the fun

So Stephan is working in Limestone this week, a.k.a the middle of nowhere. I can't even find it on mapquest, it doesn't exist. All I know is it is about 3 hours north-west of Calgary in the mountains. He is about 70km down a gravel road from Sundre staying in a fishing lodge in the middle of the bush on a lake with waterfalls and nature all around. Can you say I'm jealous?

There is no cell-phone reception out there, so communication is difficult. There is supposed to be internet, but well, that hasn't happened yet. So far we've only been able to talk when they've driven the hour or so into Sundre (where there is reception) to get food. That was last night. Stephan told me a little bit about it.

They are so far into the bush down this gravel road that Stephan will not let me drive down it when I have to pick him up on Saturday. There are deer and moose galore, and even more bears than you can imagine. One of the guys who works at the lodge saw some grizzly tracks the other day, and he said they were the biggest grizzly tracks he's seen in years. So its big. The crew were also told no hiking AT ALL, too many bears that are active right now. They do want to see this waterfall, but they must MUST bring bear spray. There are also cows. They are tagged and owned by some rancher, but there are no fences. So they just wander around in the middle of the backwoods, onto Stephan's job site for example. Do they not get eaten by animals like bears and cougars? And how does the rancher round them up if they are all over the bush?!!
There are also wild horses!! A herd of about 20 ran in front of Stephan's truck yesterday morning on his way to work. He had no idea there even was any, and so didn't have his camera :( But, they are common to the area and so there is a chance he could see them again.

Wild horses, bears, lakes, mountains, fishing, waterfalls, back bush country...I'm so jealous. First Montreal, now this. Stephan gets all the fun.

2 comments:

  1. well can you go early to get him and stay the night? Then you get to have some fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome idea...except that I need to bake 3 cheesecakes for Johnny for Sunday!! haha! otherwise, I would've done that!
    ....actually, it depends on what time Stephan would be done work on Saturday .... hmm...I should check this out!

    ReplyDelete