We went without any plans, just drove around and explored. The first place we found was a place called Barrier Lake, and it was just gorgeous! The colour of the water was amazing, and it was crystal clear. It was just a beautiful spot. It also happens to be one of those rare lakes you could put a motor boat on. There were little trails and picnic tables all over the area, it's a really nice place.
Then we headed over to another spot, on the river this time...I don't remember the name. We walked down along the river bank, and came to a shallow spot where the river split, with an island in the middle. And then Stephan had the great idea to try crossing the freezing cold mountain river to the island! We rolled up our pants and took off our shoes...and I made it half way across before turning around! It was SOOOOO cold, and the pain from the cold was surprising. Stephan still wanted to try to go across by himself. Me, not wanting to be left behind (for fear of bears and angry moose), and wanting to prove Stephan wrong decided to attempt the crossing again. And on the 2nd painful, excruciating try I made it across the river onto the island. And then, to get off the island we had to cross it a 2nd time! CRAZY! But, the 2nd time was a narrower section and so it didn't take as long to cross, and Stephan held my hand this time. I was quite proud that I did it! Never did I expect it to be THAT cold!! And I surprised Stephan. After my first failed attempt, he was almost 100% that I wouldn't make it across. Well, I proved him wrong! I can be tough!
We drove a little bit more and then headed home to pick up some groceries. I made Stephan a big meal since he was leaving for work again on Sunday (today): stuffed peppers, mashed potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce and a salad. Yummy! Stephan is already on his way to his next job, 3 hours away. He'll be gone until Saturday, but then he'll be in the area and working his normal Monday-Thursday shifts and our life will be a little more normal. AND it will be that much closer to our weekend away! Can you tell I'm excited?!
PS: hotel is BOOKED! Now we get to start planning what we are going to do while in Waterton!
Looks like such a pretty spot! Saturday sure was gorgeous...too bad it didn't hang around for very long
ReplyDelete