Thursday, July 7, 2011

Adventurous drive home

Well, today was an interesting day.

Stephan picked me up from work and we spent some time shopping at Cross Iron Mills. The plan after we were done was to stop by the store and pick up our mattress we had purchased on Sunday for the guest bedroom. They tied it down to the roof of the car, and we prayed, crossed our fingers and hoped that we would get it home safe.

Well....we did.....with some BUMPS in the road. And by bumps I mean a crash. We were driving down a main road in Calgary, at the end of rush hour. We had a good distance between the car in front of us, and we weren't driving anywhere near the speed limit (traffic). The guy 2 cars in front of us randomly slammed on his breaks, and I mean SLAMMED HARD. The guy in front of us hit him, and then we in turn hit him. Luckily, no major damage that we can see. My bumper was a little banged up, but the crack was from a previous winter accident 2 winters ago and it simply made the crack in the bumper a little bigger. No matter, because either way the bumper is one piece and the whole thing has to be replaced, eventually. So its the same cost no matter the size of the crack. Its nothing that needs to be repaired instantly.

But get this...the guy who slammed on his breaks....FLED the scene! He took off, and left us other 2 cars sitting there staring! We got no info from him at all, not even a plate number. Gone.

I don't think there's any major damage to my car, but we shall see. I have an oil changed scheduled for Saturday morning at the car dealership, so I'll get them to check over everything then. Worst case, I think I might need an alignment and maybe the shocks might need to be replaced.

Either way, we got lucky. Aside from the current crack worsening, there was just a scratch on my bumper and a small dent on the other guys. It was quite a hard impact, but no one was injured and we have a lot to be thankful for. We definitely had some protection from the big man upstairs on that one!

And I guess we found out that our mattress was securely tied to the roof of car.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my Jessica! I'm glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that mattress must have been tied on tight! Happy to know no one was hurt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy my goodness! That guy who fled the scene is such an idiot! Glad you are ok : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! The good thing is that you're okay, but I can't believe people like that that leave the scene of an accident. How horrible!

    xo katie elizabeth
    ohheyylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete