I'm almost ready! Well, lack of decorations aside (because of my psychotic and crazy kitten), I'm. almost ready.
Tomorrow I go to grab my last presents, for Stephan. Everyone else is bought for. But I know what I'm getting him, so that makes things a lot easier. I'm also going out to get all my baking supplies, so I can spend all day Saturday baking! I'm trying another of my Mom's recipes this year, Pfeffernuesse cookies (pepper nut cookies). They are an older style German cookie with a bit of a spice. I didn't try it the last 2 years because I was unsure of some of the ingredients, but this year I'm excited to try it. I love these cookies, Stephan doesn't. They are not for everyone, as its a different taste. I'm going to get Stephan to try my family recipe though, as there are a quite a few varieties out there. I'm also making Nussgipfel (little croissant cookies dipped in icing sugar with a walnut filling), and rum balls. All these are family recipes (yay for family recipes!), and its worth noting that my Mom's rum balls are NOT made out of cake, NOR are they BAKED...which means its actual complete chocolatey goodness with the rum content still in because they don't get baked. Mom watched us like a hawk when we were kids to make sure we didn't eat to many!
I checked with Mom to see if I baked the cookies this weekend, that they would still last until next weekend for Christmas. She said they would, so perfect! I want to bring some cookies on my new Christmas cookie tray to church for fellowship on Sunday, and I also want to make some goodie-bags for my co-workers (one leaves early next week for holidays), and I also wanted to bring some for Christmas dinner.
I'm so excited to start my baking, I can't wait until tomorrow! Some I have to get for Saturday by tomorrow night already, as the rumballs need to refrigerate overnight and the Pfeffernusse need to sit for 12 hours before I bake them.
I will update you on the finished products, complete with pictures in case any of you are wondering what Pfeffernusse and Nussgipfel actually look like :D
I'm excited to eat them! We need to hammer out the details for Christmas. Same as last year?
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun! I enjoy baking and plan to do a lot when I get done my other job and have more time at home! Happy Holidays to you!
ReplyDeleteI love Christmas baking!
ReplyDeleteI tagged you in a post on my blog if you want to play along! http://spreenmvp.blogspot.com/2012/01/tag.html
ReplyDelete